Monday, August 11, 2008

Farewell to Bontoc

I left Bontoc early in the morning, and I know I will miss many people here. I will have to write out my complete thanks later, but to Judith and Glory I must say now I much I have them to thank for arranging the school visits. For Edgar and Elmar I owe much thanks for driving me on their motorcycles. For the two college students Marby and Rosette who did so much wonderful cooking and washing clothes (by hands)--you were wonderful. And to their shy but very smart assistant Barbie I will miss you.

I had to run early to catch the boat so I set out for a short run. Five kids spied me and set off with me. One of them said, "I like jogging," so I knew I would go on the stony dirt road rather than the concrete road with all the traffic. These were five very sweet kids. Kids from the Philippines and from India often impress me with their striking beauty, and these five kids were members of my Olympic training group for maybe 2020. When I got to Bontoc there were many people who said hello to me as an Ameican, but today three said, "Hi Zeus" as we ran. It was amazing to see these five kids run in flip flops and barefoot and keep up with me. I wondered how young they were and when I asked, "Pilay Imong Edad? (How old are you?)" The answers were "Cinco anyos" and "Siete anyos". They were five and seven, and as I ran I realized what incredible condition these kids were in. I knew today I would just be running out for ten minutes and back for ten, and as I an I realized that they intended to go the whole way with me.

It was amazing to think that five kids running along this rough road were not only able to keep up with me, but didn't think twice about being a mile away from home on a Saturday morning. There is no sense of "stranger danger" here, and I could not help but think what a totally differernt world kids live in when they are not surrounded by a sense of fear and are allowed to roam.

I am in a hurry now. I have now arrived in Cebu and am visiting my dear friends Danny Buenconsejo and Ester Hana in the town of Delaguete. I will write more of that later.

No comments: