Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Libas

I have finished teaching three days in Libas. It was a great experience especially because I got a chance to see the fourth year students who I first met when they were just first starting high school in 2005. When I entered the class, I could tell that something was up. In chorus they rose to their feet and chanted, "Morning Sir". This is actually pretty traditional in Filipino classes, but they really felt like old friends, and we had a great time. I hope they learned a lot!

I should mention that Libas is very remote. It took me thirty minutes to get there by motorcycle riding habal habal over a rocky road. Some of the kids walk two miles to school each day, and with no telephone service it is far from the internet. Most of the kids are faced with learning three languages: Visayan, Tagalog, and English and most of the parents spoke only a little English as far as I could tell. Lots of little kids know, "What is youir name?" and "Hello, Joe" but when I sit with people I have to start talking in Visayan or I sit very quietly. haha. I must say that I really feel for these students. In India, too, there were students who had to learn three languages, and while students have classes in Tagalog and English throughout their schooling, the first year students really had difficulty following everything I said in English so I made a lot of efforts to speak as much Visayan as I could.

Two graduates of Libas told me that they have to give their final reports in English, and there are plenty of "Koan" comments. Koan is a term that I believe means, "I am not sure of the word." I can just imagine what it would be like for my students to learn all their science and math in Spanish. Actually, when I look at English and Visayan, their language is a much more logical one. All the vowels are sounded, and I have not yet come across a word like pneumonia yet. ha ha. It was interesting to hear one parent from India tell me that in India people "pick up" languages. With papers, television, and everyone around you speaking in a variety of languages you start to navigate the world. It is very clear that language is not just about communication. It is also about identity.

A parent told me that although she grew up in South Leyte, she moved to Manila and her son spoke only Tagalog until he was four. When they moved back to South Leyte, her father was angry to hear that the son did not speak Visayan, and he was ignored by other kids around him until he learned the language.

By the way, I met the mayor of Bontoc, and he told me that he had noticed me in the crowd at the boxing match. He asked his aides to find out who that man with the beard and white hair was. ha ha. He laughed when I told him that I was not Osama Bin Laden. And he complimented me on speaking English clearly. Apparently, many Americans have fairly indecipherable accents. ha ha. The next day at a party, I met the mayor's brother and told them about a comment about where Bontoc is. He told me that there is a Bontoc Mountain Province in Northern Luzon. They, indeed, do speak Illocono. However, the Bontoc where I am staying is definitely in South Leyte, and although it only has 100 telephones apparently, there are 19,000 registered voters!

The weekend was spent in Ormoc and at Visayan State University in Bay Bay. In the early 90's there was a mudslide in Ormoc that killed 8,000 people I am told. Over logging apparently was the cause. Visayan State University is a school that focusses on Agriculture, Fisheries, and Forestry, and its President is very concerned about environmental issues. When I ran on the campus, I passed by an eco--park, and then I went up into the hills through some of the most beautiful woods I have seen on my trip. The campus was wonderful, and I am sure it was because I love nature, and they had put the campus in a natural setting. The Philippines does have problems with finding enough good paying jobs for its citizens, but I am convinced that when people here understand what a wonderful natural setting this country has they will be make great strides.

I should add that while I was on the plane from Manila to Tacloban, the magazine for Cebu Pacific Airlines had an article by Lawrence Heaney from the Field Museum. He talked about the fact that the Philippines has more biodiversity per area than any other country in the world. He also pointed out that that few Filipinos seem to recognize this. I must say, however, that I have seen signs that awareness of the environment and the "treasures of the Philippines" is improving.

Tomorrow and Friday I will be teaching at Bontoc National High School. The school principal, Florintino Tao Tao, met with me today to show me around the school, and I will be teaching classes in biology, English and physics. He introduced me to several of the teachers there, and hopefully I will be able to send books and supplies to the school when I return to Chicago.

I have to go, but here are a few observations:

-When it is dark here, you can see thousands and thousands of stars and the Milky Way!

-I had a great time running in Libas with two students---Eric and Dicks. They both ran with me in flip flops five miles over a rocky road. During the day, they carried my bags and at an all school assembly they insisted on holding an umbrella over me to keep the sun off me!!!!!!!!!

-I had wild boar in Libas! It has much less fat than baboy (pig).

Init og igang ang panahon diri. (It is hot and humid here today.)

1 comment:

MMurzyn said...

The tiny, rich elite has to create a fairer country where the majority of poor wonderful Filipinos don't have to make it on two dollars a day. Hundreds of Filipinos who have spoken out for change over the past five years have been murdered.