Friday, August 8, 2008

Rezalyn, Jeneveve, Lovely and Jenry

When teachers die, they should go to heaven and hopefully they will be rewarded with a chance to teach Bontoc National High School's Physics 4A class. I got the chance today. They were fantastic! Not every physics class finishes with all the students singing a song in Tagalog, but that is what these students did. This was the third day at Bontoc High School, and I made lots of great friends. The students were great in helping me with my Visayan, and they gave me a list of words that my students in Chicago should learn.

I just have time to write out four of the stories that students wrote:

My name is Rezalyn. I live in Cowayanan, Bontoc, Southern Leyte. I'm fourteen years old. I like to play badminton, write poems, listen to music and explore places. When I was seven years old then I joined scouting held in Calmon Cave. When my friend and I entered the cave with no flashlight, we got scared because it's very dark and scary. We cried and cried because we don't know how to get back our way. I remember the scary place until now and the voice when we cry.

Hi, I'm Jeneveve. I'm fifteen years of age. I live in San Ramon, Bontoc, Southern Leyte, Philippines. I'm a senior student of Bontoc National High School. The most unforgettable experience I had was when I went to the mountain searching for a guava with my classmates. I felt happy because we are joined together.
I like dancing, but I can't get the steps easily. I know how to act. I like singing but the problem is, I think music doesn't like me. It's fun. Am I right? He, He, He. Hi to Zeus' student Silas.

My name is Lovely. I live in Poblacion, Bontoc, Southern Leyte, Philippines. I'm twelve years old. I like playing musical instruments and playing badminton. When I am young, my mother and I went to Cebu. I saw the dancing sun near from the mountain.

My name is Jenry. I'm thirteen years old. I live in Talisay, Bontoc, Southern Leyte. I love to sing, play badminton, and jump off the bridge in Bontoc. My unforgettable story was when I am six years old when I am climbed a tree and falling because the branch of a tree was break and when the time that I am on the ground I can't breath.

You might notice that the students mention their barangay before they mention the town. Bontoc consists of 41 barangays. Some of the younger students have problems with verb forms, but realize that English is their third language! By their fourth year they have usually made huge progress. One of the other interesting things I hear is kids using 'he' when they mean 'she.' In Visayan there is the word 'siya' which means both he and she.

I have made some great friends on this trip, and today I heard from Cindy from Korea. She is now going to school in Vietnam. What I remember about Cindy is reading with her from Barack Obama's autobiography. Cindy is really, really smart, and also really fun to be around! Just like Bontoc's 4A physics class!!! Hope you all get a chance to meet her some day. Maybe when she becomes President in Korea.

1 comment:

MMurzyn said...

Prior to Magellan's voyage a Filipino looking for work travelled to Portugal via the Indian Ocean. He joined Magellan's crew and therefore upon reaching Leyte became the first man to go around the world. He also served as translator, surprising the crew with his ability in the remote landfall.